Tuesday 1 March 2011

Oxford Fashion Week - Concept Show

Standing outside of the Regal on Oxford'd quirky, crazy Cowley road, I heard a group of girls say that they were surprised Oxford even had a fashion week as they never thought of it as a very ''fashiony'' city. I hope that after watching the Concept Show tonight they changed their minds. I think that this is a view held by many non - Oxfordians but with Oxford Fashion week only scrapping the tip of the ice berg of what the city has to offer, it's a view that I don't share.

Tonight's Concept Show was interesting, as always. It started off dark and theatrical with music that wouldn't have been out of place in a horror film. The first outfits looked Martin Margiela inspired with a recycled leather look, complete with cut out diamond shaped holes all over.

All the models, had pale faces with electric blue eye shadow for shock value. The hair was big and bushy in most cases except for the striking bald head of Ruby Payge Johns, who has appeared in both the London and Oxford fashion weeks in previous years.

The colours were quite muted to start with, with lots of greys, nudes, blacks and browns but it all changed when one designer sent brightly patterened psychedelic looking one pieces down the runway. There were only a few boys in the entire show and they also sported bright blue eye shadow paired with leggings tighter than I have ever been able to squeeze myself into - showing how in the fashion world gender is often irrelevant.

Now I know what, you're thinking - why am I not at the after party? Even though I am going agasint everything I have learnt as a student by turning down free champagne, I am trying this new thing where I stay sober and professional. I'll let you know at the end of the week if I've managed to keep it up.

All in all it was a good show and I look forward to what the rest of the week has to offer. Pictures to follow, I promise.

DESIGNERS
Yvonne Lau, Ara Jo, Joela Sakayam, Ki Ching Cheung & Ka Wai Lo, Ahyoung Choi, Sin Yi Chung, Giada Quagliata, Akosua Afriyie-Kumi, Kamila Gkasperska, Yu-Hsuan-Liu, Sincron, Victoria Gonzalez, Spyroula Kyriacou, Emilie Zanon, Liat Annina Polishuka, Wei Ting Hu



No comments:

Post a Comment