Friday 3 December 2010

procrastination aka putting shit off

It's that time of year again, sleigh bells are ringing, christmas songs are blaring out all over the radio, and deadlines are coming.

Sitting at my computer, I thought to myself, hmmm I haven't written my blog in a while. But I have a confession to make: even though I love writing my blog, the real reason I am writing this post is to avoid doing uni work. So far I have facebooked for nearly two hours, bbm-ed till my fingers cramped up, watched 2 shit TV programmes and 1 good programme (yes the good one was Eastenders) and put some washing on. I am seriously considering cleaning my room; had there been a party on tonight, or even a magazine lying around that I hadn't already read, the thought would not have crossed my mind. But that's what deadlines do to you, EVERYTHING except your work becomes interesting.

My usual approach to work is to spend the first 2 months of the term partying and then the last month panicking. (Kind of convenient though that deadline time coincides with loans running out so noone can go out much anyway.) Me and Tam (anyone who knows her will get my drift) have this conversation about once a week:

Tam: ok lets get together and do work
Sian: omg ok we have so much to do
Tam: yeah i know, don't talk about it cuz i feel sick
Sian: omg me too now
*tears, tantrums and warnings of 'I'm gunna be sick'*
(this usually takes a good 2/3 hours)
Sian: I'm hungary
Tam: Sian! We haven't got time to eat
*they eat*
*facebook*
Sian: Oh shit we haven't done any work
Tam: Omg I know
Sian: Ok lets do it tomorrow
Tam: Ok we have to do it though
Sian: Ok, we will

I'm assuming you can guess what happens the next day ...

The problem is, we have choosen to be here, doing a degree of specific interest to us, a degree with a pretty hefty price tag attached to it. So why do we spend so much time putting off doing a subject we choose to do? That we potentially want a career in? I can't asnwer that, all I know is that we all do it at some point.

Lets be honest, this post probably hasn't been the most stimulating piece of written work that you have read in your adult life so far, but I bet it's been a whole lot more interesting if you've got work to do ;)

2 comments:

  1. Bet everyone just closed there work to read this too... Pffft Sian.. such a bad influence!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Kinda love this AND you Siany boo! ;OP xx

    ReplyDelete